- Our Campus//
~~~ Welcome Parents and Students ~~~
Better Late Than Never, but Never Late is Better!
To Report An Absence
Please contact the grade-level specific contact by phone, email or parent note. Include the student’s name, date of the absence, reason for the absence, and a contact telephone number in your communication.
Grade Level Contacts
- 10th Grade Attendance Clerk: 936.709.1234
- 11th Grade Attendance Clerk: 936.709.1236
- 12th Grade Attendance Clerk: 936.709.1233
- PEIMS / 10th-12th Grade Attendance
TWHS classes begin at 7:20 a.m. and are dismissed at 2:35 p.m. Students who arrive late, but by 7:35, are considered tardy. Students who arrive at 7:36, or later, are considered absent from their first class of the day. Please remember, students who arrive at school after 7:35 need to check in through the Attendance Office and have a parent note (or phone call) providing a reason for the absence. Students must check in and out of school through the Attendance Office when they arrive late or leave campus early. The same 15 minute tardy period and check in procedure applies to late arrival students.
Parking privileges are affected by 1st/5th period (2nd/6th for late arrival students) tardies and unexcused absences. Five-day parking privilege suspensions will be levied after five tardies or three unexcused absences for those periods.
Students who arrive between one and fifteen minutes late for class are considered Tardy for that class. If they arrive sixteen minutes (or more) minutes late, they’re considered Absent.
If your student needs to check out of school prior to 2:35 dismissal, please send a signed note with him or her in the morning, stating the check-out time and the reason for leaving. He or she will exchange the parent note for a Permit to Leave form in the Attendance Office upon arrival in the morning or during lunch. Your student will meet you in the Attendance Office at the designated time. If you’re unable to send a note in the morning, you may call the attendance office to make the arrangements and we will send a pass to your student’s classroom. In order to smooth the process and minimize class interruptions, we strongly encourage a parent note rather than a phone call authorizing an early release. We appreciate your efforts to plan in advance.
Students will only be released to parent(s) or guardian(s) as specified in their official school records. If you want to authorize another individual to pick up your student, you must include that information in your note. Please be aware we may call you for verification. Everyone checking out a TWHS student must present a photo ID.
Juniors and Seniors who drive to school may check themselves out provided they have a parent note authorizing them to do so and a Permit to Leave form issued by the Attendance Office.
If you know, in advance, your student will need to be absent, complete a Parent Request for Approved Absence form (also known as a Pre-Approved Absence form). The form is available in the attendance office. Your student should submit the completed form to his or her Assistant Principal for approval.
TWHS official attendance is taken every Red Day during 2nd and every Green Day during 6th period.
Students are not permitted to leave campus for lunch.
Each missed class constitutes an absence on a student’s attendance record. Exceptions to the rule include:
- Citizenship Application appointment – submit submission of verifying INS documentation
- College Visits – Juniors and Seniors are allowed two college visit days per year and must submit proper documentation from the college. Proper documentation includes a completed College Visit Verification form bearing an official stamp or seal OR verification provided by the college on their own form or letterhead stationery which includes student name and date of the visit and college representative signature. The College Visit Verification form is available in the attendance office and by clicking here: College Visit Verification Formpdf
- Court appearances for which court documentation is submitted to the Attendance Office
- Religious holidays for which the proper form is completed and submitted to attendance office: Mission trips, church camps and conventions are not considered religious holidays. The REL Verification form is available in the attendance office and by clicking here: Religious Holiday Verification Formpdf.
- Doctor’s appointments IF the student attends school for any part of the day AND submits doctor’s note verifying the appointment – The student must check in and/or out of school through the Attendance Office in order to establish documented proof they attended school part of the day.
- School sanctioned absences such as Extracurricular events, UIL events, field trips as designated by school administration
Absences affect final exam exemptions. In general, an average of 85 or higher with 2 or fewer absences, or a 90 or higher and 3 or fewer absences may qualify to be exempt from final exams.
Excessive absences may result in make-up hours. Contact your student’s Assistant Principal for details.
Excessive absences can affect obtaining a Verification of Enrollment for the purpose of obtaining and renewing a driver’s license. Verifications of Enrollment are issued in the Grade Level Office.
A full explanation of Attendance policies can be found in the TWHS Student Handbook. Feel free to call for clarification or if the attendance office staff can be of service to you and your family.